Anniversaries of Sorts



Today is an anniversary of sorts.  A year ago tonight I was hospitalized for a blood clot.  A week ago tonight Mom told me she had the tumor in her pancreas.   It seems surreal still.

Last year I was in pain from a leg injury (I really wrenched my leg in the bath tub).  I thought I had gotten cellulites and walked around on it for a couple of days in pain.  Until that Wednesday I called the doctor and he had me come in and get checked out.  After I was examined and the MRI I was told to wait until the results were read by the tech and doctor.  The doctor called me in the room and I cried.  He told me to go to the hospital that they would be waiting for me.  I drove myself to the hospital and made calls on the way.

I didn’t have to wait long to be admitted or seen in the ER.  My BIL stayed with me until Mom and Liz came.  For the next several hours I was in the ER.  Vitals were taken meds given and more pictures etc.  Mom and Liz stayed with me for a while and by the time I got a room that night my sister “tucked me in”. 

For the next four days I slept, watched TV and ate while being monitored and given blood thinner and whatever else.  I had a number of visitors through the four days and it was great.  Near the end of my stay I had to do some exercises by walking around.  I was really glad I came home that Sunday. 

I believe I was out of work for at least two weeks.  Spent the time sleeping watching TV and not feeling so great.    Eventually I felt better and was glad to be going back to work.

Mom’s story started two years ago.  She went in for some exploratory surgery and tests after her remaining sister died of pancreatic cancer.  For the next several weeks it was horrible.  They poked and prodded and caused her so much pain and anguish.  She had gotten several infections and we thought she would die.  Happily she didn’t.  She got out of the hospital/rehab in late August.  Ever since then she has pancreatitis.  They had been monitoring it and it became an enlarged tumor.

We have all been dealing with this all week.  Mom saw the doctor earlier this week and confirmed that the growth is inoperable.  No surgery is so far the way to go.  Don’t know what is planned for the future.   We are taking each day as it comes.

Mom has been going to meetings and fundraisers and also been washing and cleaning windows and curtains and putting them up.  She is watching TV now as I write this.  I have decided that I would spend more time watching TV with her instead of in a different part of the house.   I tried for about an hour tonight.  It was an opera but it was too much for Mom.  I didn’t want to sit and watch more news.  So here I am.

It was really nice out today.  It was in the low to mid 60’s and sunny and breezy.  We are supposed to get heavy rains over night and I see that we have a coastal flood warning too. 

I have a busy weekend ahead.  Friday night is probably going to be laundry night.  Saturday I have a dentist appointment (surgical release for the implant) and taxes.  On Sunday I have my morning activities and in the afternoon is the Mexican Train Game.

Well I am going to bed.  Hope you had a great one.

Comments

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom Kate.

Popular posts from this blog

Wow it got cold fast

Yay Friday

i waited